Education System in Moldova
The education system in Moldova consists of school education and higher education. Further school education has three stages preschool, primary school and secondary school.
The preschool education is for children up to the age of 7 years. The primary school education is between grades 1 through 4. Generally children between the ages of 8-12 are enrolled in primary schools.
The secondary education consists of two routes: general and vocational. General secondary education from grades 5-9 is called the gymnasium, and grades 10-12 is called liceul (lyceum). The vocational track is called the professional liceul.
Moldova has following types of primary and secondary schools:
- Kindergartens for children from 3 to 5-6 years
- Primary schools, grades 1-4
- Gymnasiums, grades 5-9
- Lyceums, grades 10-12, Bacalaureat exam
- General schools, grades 10-11, no Bacalaureat exam, cannot continue with higher education
- Evening schools
- Schools of trades, 1 year (grade 12), no Bacalaureat exam, cannot continue with higher education
- Vocational schools, 3 years (grades 10-12), no Bacalaureat exam, but can continue with higher education
- Vocational lyceums, 3 years (grades 10-12), Bacalaureat exam
- Colleges (Colegii), 3 to 4 years, Bacalaureat exam optional, but can continue with higher education
- Special schools, grades 1-11, no Bacalaureat exam, cannot continue with higher education
The academic year in Moldova starts on September 1 and continues until June with a winter break in December and January.
The main language of instruction is Moldovan. However, some institutes also offer courses in English. Study opportunities to learn other foreign languages are also available across schools and higher education institutions.
The lowest grade (mark) in the Moldovan educational system is 1 and the highest is 10. To pass a course, a subject, or an examination, the student must require achieving a grade of 5 or above.
Education is a national priority in Moldova. It’s considered as a determining factor of quality of life and opportunities. The education system in Moldova is student friendly.